[Numpy-discussion] Re: Status of 1.0 release and website?

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Mon Jan 30 13:53:02 EST 2006

Jonathan Taylor wrote:
> I am wondering what needs to happen before a 1.0 release of both numpy
> and scipy?

For a 1.0 release of numpy:

In terms of features.  The only thing I see as necessary is that array
scalars have their own math defined so that they don't go through the
full ufunc machinery.   This is probably about 20-40 hours of work.

I would also like to see a numcompat module that allows numarray users
to compile their C-extensions with a simple include file change.   Also,
a convert_numarraycode.py module would be useful for converting Python
code.

Mostly, though, I would like to see more people using NumPy in different
circumstances so that we get the bugs worked out and needed C-API
changes before going to 1.0.   This is the process that may take several
months as I see it.

-Travis