[Numpy-discussion] Slow performance in array protocol with string arrays

Warren Focke focke at slac.stanford.edu
Wed Jan 4 14:33:20 EST 2006

I ran up against the dimesion limit in Numeric back when it was 10.  Or
20, it was actually defined inconsistently in different places, and you
could crash the interpreter by creating and array w/ >10 dim in a part
of the code that would let you do that and feeding it to a part that
wouldn't.  I didn't complain about the limit because the code I was
working on was a toy^H^H^Hlearning exercise and I didn't complain about
the inconsistency because I suck.

I was trying to make an FFT routine that would reshape the input sequence
to have one dimension per prime factor of its length, and then manipulate
that.

Warren Focke