[Numpy-discussion] arrayobject.h (and friends) install location

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Jan 17 17:20:03 EST 2006

> On Jan 17, 2006, at 9:08 AM, konrad.hinsen at laposte.net wrote:
>
>> What good is that symlink if no one can rely on its presence?

That way,  on OS-X (or whatever) when someone has a problem compiling an
extension, all they have to do is get their sysadmin to put in the
symlink, rather than re-install the whole numpy package, or have the
numpy install fail in the first place. A small improvemnet, I suppose.

As a Linux+OS-X user, I've run into a number of these Apple "Think
Different" issues, but I don't think creating an ugly, non-standard
system to accommodate the fact that Apple like to do things strangely is
the right solution. Apple doesn't maintain their python distribution
well, or really play well with the python community, so many of us end
up installing a new Python anyway.

Maybe we could even get Apple to fix this. As someone pointed out it
doesn't really make any sense to let regular users write to
site-packages, but not to include.

+1 the standard include location.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov