[SciPy-dev] [Numpy-discussion] Re: numpy/scipy some remarks

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 10:32:01 EST 2006

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:

>>4) There are some places in numpy that use numpy.dual.
>>
>>I think we can address all of your concerns by changing #4.

And actually, I think we can eat our cake and have it, too, by providing a way
to restrict numpy.dual to only use numpy versions. We won't provide a way to
force numpy.dual to only use some_other_version. I think Fernando's examples
won't be problematic, then.

> This is an accurate assessment.  However,  I do not want to eliminate
> number 4 as I've mentioned before.   I think there is a place for having
> functions that can be over-written with better versions.   I agree that
> it could be implemented better, however, with some kind of register
> function instead of automatically looking in scipy...

Like egg entry_points. Please, let's not reinvent this wheel again.

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/PkgResources#entry-points

--
Robert Kern
robert.kern at gmail.com