[Numpy-discussion] Args for ones, zeros, rand, eye, ones, empty (possible 1.0 change?)

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Mon Jul 3 01:54:17 EDT 2006

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006, Robert Kern apparently wrote:
> i. Yes, you're still misunderstanding my arguments.
> ii. I'm bloody sick of rehashing it, so I won't be responding further.

Sorry, I should not have said: "not a wart".
I perhaps should have instead said: "an acceptable wart",
due to issues of backward compatability.

At least that's what you implied here:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/numpy-discussion/3150643
And note that you emphasized the availability of the alternative functions here:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/numpy-discussion/3150702
I made the documentation comment based on your action in response
to this conversation: adding documentation.

You make a claim not an argument when you say:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/numpy-discussion/3150643
        *Changing* the API of rand() and randn() doesn't
        solve any problem. *Removing* them might.

Your primary argument against changing the API, as far as
I can see, is that allowing *both* the extant behavior and
the numpy consistent behavior will result in confusing code.
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/numpy-discussion/3150643
Is this a knock-down argument?  I think not.
But in any case, I did not argue (above) for the combined
behaviors: only for the numpy-consistent behavior.
(Or for removing rand and randn, an action which I view as
inferior but acceptable, and which you seem---at the link
above---willing to consider.)

To repeat a point I made before:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/numpy-discussion/3150728
    numpy should take a step so that this question goes
    away, rather than maintain the status quo and see it crop up continually.
    (I.e., its recurrence should be understood to signal a problem.)

Apologies in advance for any misrepresentations,
Alan Isaac