[Numpy-discussion] Namespaces in header files [Was: Time for beta1 of NumPy 1.0]

Lee Taylor ltaylor at llnl.gov
Mon Jul 3 19:13:39 EDT 2006

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, Travis Oliphant wrote:

> I think it's time for the first beta-release of NumPy 1.0
>
> I'd like to put it out within 2 weeks.  Please make any comments or
> voice major concerns so that the 1.0 release series can be as stable as
> possible.

One issue I ran across that I have not seen addressed is the namespace of
arrayobject.h.  I'm not refering to C++ namespaces but prefixing symbols
to avoid clashes with user's code.

The externals start with PyArray.  But I had symbol redefinition errors
for byte, MAX_DIMS, and ERR.  That is, I already had defines for MAX_DIMS
and ERR and a typedef for byte in my code.  When adding a numpy interface
to my library I had to undef these symbols before including arrayobject.h.

Is there a way to move implemention defines, like ERR, into a separate
header.  Or if they're part of the API, prefix the symbols?

Lee Taylor