[Numpy-discussion] .T Transpose shortcut for arrays again

Robert Hetland rhetland at mac.com
Fri Jul 7 09:57:12 EDT 2006

On Jul 6, 2006, at 2:54 PM, Robert Kern wrote:

> I don't think that just because arrays are often used for linear
> algebra that
> linear algebra assumptions should be built in to the core array type.

True.  This argues against the MAH attributes.

However, I use transpose often when not dealing with linear algebra,
in particular with reading in data, and putting various columns into
variables.  Also, occasional in plotting (which expects things in
'backward' order relative to x-y space), and communicating between
fortran programs (which typically use 'forward' order (x, y, z)) and
numpy (backward -- (z, x, y)).

I am very much in favor of .T, but it should be a full .transpose(),
not just swap the last two axes.  I don't care so much for the others.

+1 for .T == .transpose()

-Rob