[Numpy-discussion] NumPy beta release plan

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 21:13:43 EDT 2006

Christian Kristukat wrote:
> Travis Oliphant <oliphant.travis <at> ieee.org> writes:
>
>> Some of you may have noticed that things have been changing rapidly in
>> the NumPy world (if you were out of the office in June then all the
>> activity may seem overwhelming).
>>
>> All of this activity is based on the fact that the upcoming beta release
>> will mean a feature freeze for NumPy.
>
> Recently numpy.distutils switched to install to /usr/local/lib instead of
> /usr/lib. Is that intended? I'd prefer to have it back at /usr/lib in
> 1.0beta.

It shouldn't have. It shouldn't be doing anything different in that respect than
core distutils. Are other distutils packages installing to /usr/lib? Nothing in
the code should be making that choice. It is up to the configuration of Python
(whatever prefix that the interpreter was installed to) or overridden by system
or user configuration files.

I believe that Debian recently changed its configuration to default to
/usr/local (for good reason!). Perhaps that is causing what you see.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco