[Numpy-discussion] unique() should return a sorted array

Tim Hochberg tim.hochberg at cox.net
Tue Jul 11 12:02:21 EDT 2006

Norbert Nemec wrote:
> unique1d is based on ediff1d, so it really calculates many differences
> and compares those to 0.0
>
> This is inefficient, even though this is hidden by the general
> inefficiency of Python (It might be the reason for the two milliseconds,
> though)
>
> What is more: subtraction works only for numbers, while the various
> proposed versions use only comparison which works for any data type (as
> long as it can be sorted)

My first question is: why? What's the attraction in returning a sorted
answer here? Returning an unsorted array is potentially faster,
depending on the algorithm chosen,  and sorting after the fact is
trivial. If one was going to spend extra complexity on something, I'd
think it would be better spent on preserving the input order.

Second, some objects can be compared for equality and hashed, but not
sorted (Python's complex number's come to mind). If one is going to
worry about subtraction so as to keep things general, it makes sense to
also avoid sorting as well  Sasha's slick algorithm not withstanding.

Third, I propose that whatever the outcome of the sorting issue, I would
propose that unique have the same interface as the other structural
array operations. That is:

unique(anarray, axis=0):

The default axis=0 is for compatibility with the other, somewhat similar
functions.  Axis=None would return the flattened, uniquified data,
axis=# would uniquify the result along that axis.

Regards,

-tim