[Numpy-discussion] array interface, PIL and PyGame

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Jul 11 13:47:46 EDT 2006

Hi all,

Over on the PIL mailing list, someone asked about some possible
additions to PIL to facilitate copy-free moving of data between PyGame
and PIL. I sent a note suggesting that the array interface might be just
the ticket. These were the responses:

Pete Shinners wrote:
> Yeah, this would be an ideal solution. I hope more of the base array stuff can
> get into Python 2.6.
>
> We did look at the array proposal, but haven't been able to jump on it yet
> because of adoption. I guess it needs another package or two to get the ball
> rolling.

So that's an advocacy issue, and an illustration of why getting it into
the standard lib is critical.

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> unfortunately, the "array interface" model isn't even close to be able
> to describe a PIL image memory (the "Imaging" structure)...

Darn. It was my understanding that we thought that it was close to being
able to describe an image... so what have we missed. I'm out of my
technical depth, but I've encouraged Fredrik to bring the discussion here.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov