[Numpy-discussion] how to use argsort result?

Victoria G. Laidler laidler at stsci.edu
Wed Jul 12 17:42:08 EDT 2006

Hi,

Pardon me if I'm reprising an earlier discussion, as I'm new to the list.

But is there a reason that this obscure syntax

A[arange(2)[:,newaxis],indexes]

A[arange(A.shape[0])[:,newaxis],indexes]

is preferable to the intuitively reasonable thing that the Original
Poster did?

A[indexes]

Doesn't it violate the pythonic "principle of least surprise" for the
simpler syntax not to work?

As a casual numpy user, I can't imagine being able to remember the
obscure syntax in order to use the result of an argsort.

curiously,
Vicki Laidler
(numarray user who came from IDL)