[Numpy-discussion] Version numbers again

Francesc Altet faltet at carabos.com
Thu Jul 27 12:48:00 EDT 2006

Travis,

A Dijous 27 Juliol 2006 18:22, Travis Oliphant va escriure:
> I'm still looking for ideas on version numbering.
>
> Right now, the trunk is at version 0.9.9  but this has bug-fixes from
> the 1.0b1 release.  The next release will be 1.0b2 and should occur in
> about a week.
>
> I don't really like having the trunk use a 'lower' version number than
> the releases but I'm not sure what to do.  The problem seems to stem
> from wanting to have the version number sort somewhat reasonably when
> the development number is tacked on.
>
> Will it work to have the trunk reflect the version number that was most
> recently released?  In other words we could have the trunk be
> 1.0b1.<svn_version>

Speaking on what we regularly do, I would choose a 1.0b2.<svn_version> for the
trunk version. This is a way to say people: "Hey, you are using a version
that will be the 1.0b2 in the future.".  Of course, the same meaning can be
achieved if you interpret that a X.Y.Z.<svn_version> means something like
post-X.Y.Z. I think all depends on interpretation. I personally prefer the
first option (i.e. start using a future release number in SVN), rather than
the second (i.e. using a past release version in SVN) because I tend to find
it slightly less confusing.

However, I think that if you choose whatever convention consistently, people
will get used to it and everything will be fine.

V   V   Cárabos Coop. V.   Enjoy Data
 "-"