[Numpy-discussion] Time for beta1 of NumPy 1.0

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Jul 3 00:57:41 EDT 2006

Albert Strasheim wrote:
> Hey Chuck

I have a small experience with scons, as a replacement of the auto*
tools for small packages
on my own (requirements for cross-building, library and header
dependency, build of libraries, etc...). So I am willing to share my
somewhat limited experience with scons (the code I am building scons
with is using cblas/clapack, and has libraries + some unit testing, so
we would not start from scratch). Also, I have access to x86 and ppc
linux + mac os x + windows easily, which makes it easy to test on some
common platforms,

David

P.S: Some comments on scons :

I don't know distutils, so I can only compare to autotools: from *my*
experience, you should think about scons as a Makefile replacement, and
as a build framework to build onto. The main pro of scons:

 - having a real language for build rules programming is a real plus. It
makes it much easier to extend that autoconf, for example (debugging m4
macro is not something I can enjoy much, and I am sure I am not alone).
- the dependency checking works great
- parallel build is explicitly handled
- scons knows how to build library (static and shared) on the plateforms
it supports
- can be included in the project so scons does not need to be installed
if needed (I have never used this feature myself).

The main cons:
 - configuration part: there are some tools to test library/header a la
autoconf, but this is far from great in the present situation, mainly
because of the next point
 - option handling from the command line: there is some support, but
nothing is automatic. On the long run, this is painful.
 - No support for library versioning; I am not sure about rpath support,
which is useful for non-standard path installation. I don't know how
difficult it would be to implement for all platforms (I have some
 - can be slow for big projects ? I have seen quite big projects (eg
ardour: several hundred of .c and .h files) using scons, and it was not
really slow, and I don't think it would be a problem for something like
numpy which size is nothing compared to kde.

To sum it up: as a make replacement, from a developer POV, it works
great. As a tool for *distribution*, I am less convinced. For people
familiar with autotools, scons is a great automake replacement.
Everything else has to be implemented: autoconf, libtool, etc... My
understanding is that those two tools (autoconf and libtool) are the
ones most needed for numpy, so there is a lot of work to do if we want
to use scons.