[Numpy-discussion] updated Ubuntu Dapper packages for numpy, matplotlib, and scipy online

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Tue Jul 18 14:45:32 EDT 2006

Michael Williams wrote:

>>Hi Andrew (and others),

>>I am unable to access these repositories (which sound very useful, and
>>for which I am grateful to Andrew!). apt-get update gives
>>
>>    "Failed to fetch http://debs.astraw.com/dapper/Release.gpg Could not
>>    resolve ‘debs.astraw.com’"

Hmm, that looks like DNS error. My repository is still up and online...
debs.astraw.com is actually a "CNAME" record, which aliases another
domain name. The canonical domain name uses a dynamic DNS to point to a
dynamically assigned IP addresses. Your system (probably in your DNS
name resolution) must be having some issue with some of that.
Unfortunately, you can't just plug in the IP address, because I'm using
Apache virtual hosting to serve a website at "debs.astraw.com"
differently from other websites.

Anyhow, here's what I get, hopefully it will help you fix your DNS issue.

$ host debs.astraw.com
debs.astraw.com is an alias for astraw-office.kicks-ass.net.
astraw-office.kicks-ass.net has address 131.215.28.162
debs.astraw.com is an alias for astraw-office.kicks-ass.net.
debs.astraw.com is an alias for astraw-office.kicks-ass.net.

>>I am also unable to access the repositories listed on the website:
>>
>>    deb http://sefton.astraw.com/ubuntu/ dapper/
>>    deb-src http://sefton.astraw.com/ubuntu/ dapper/

Eek, I replaced that with the new one location and some more info.

>>for the same reason. Does anyone know where they've gone and if they're
>>coming back?

I'm planning on keeping them around for a while -- at least until numpy,
scipy, and matplotlib get integrated into my flavor-of-the-year
Debian/Ubuntu release in a sufficiently up-to-date version.