[Numpy-discussion] Please comment on SVN versioning convention

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 17:15:48 EDT 2006

On 7/24/06, Travis Oliphant <oliphant.travis at ieee.org> wrote:
> Andrew Straw has emphasized that the current strategy of appending the
> SVN version number to development versions of the SVN tree makes it hard
> to do version sorting.
>
> His proposal is to not change the version number until the first beta
> comes out.

I have to say that being able to quickly see  the actual SVN revision
number in the version helps a LOT in tracking down problems.  Just
look at how many posts on the list start with the canonical

In [4]: import numpy,scipy

In [5]: numpy.__version__
Out[5]: '0.9.9.2803'

In [6]: scipy.__version__
Out[6]: '0.5.0.2079'

printouts before discussing the problem.

I don't really feel strongly about the issue, but if you change this,
then please add a __revision__ attribute as well, so that this
information can be quickly asked for in pure python (we don't want to
bother newbies with obscure SVN lingo, esp. if they got their install
from someone else).

Cheers,