[Numpy-discussion] Please comment on SVN versioning convention

David M. Cooke cookedm at physics.mcmaster.ca
Mon Jul 24 17:35:58 EDT 2006

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:06:57 -0600
Travis Oliphant <oliphant.travis at ieee.org> wrote:

> Andrew Straw has emphasized that the current strategy of appending the
> SVN version number to development versions of the SVN tree makes it hard
> to do version sorting.
>
> His proposal is to not change the version number until the first beta
> comes out.
>
> In other words, the trunk should not be 1.1 but 1.0dev?
>
> Are there any opposing opinions to this change.  I personally think that
> is a confusing numbering scheme because 1.0dev seems to imply it's the
> development for version 1.0 instead of 1.1.  But, if  several others
> think it's a good idea to support easy-sorting of version numbers, then
> I will conceed.
>
> Perhaps we can have a version 'number' as 1.0plus?

What if we use even numbers for stable releases, odd for development
releases, like for Linux kernels? e.g., make 1.1 the dev branch (current
trunk), and make 1.2 the next stable release after 1.0.

Or, make the trunk 1.0.99.<svn version>

The .99 usually makes it pretty clear that it's the development branch.