[Numpy-discussion] numpy vs numarray

Tim Hochberg tim.hochberg at ieee.org
Mon Jul 31 14:03:48 EDT 2006

David L Goldsmith wrote:
> All I can say is, if someone that confused about basic facts is being
> cited as an authority and teaching a podcast class, I'm glad I have
> someone on-site at my work who actually knows what they're talking about
> and not relying on the Net for my numpy education.

The numpy == Numeric confusion is understandable. Numeric Python (AKA
Numeric) was typically referred to as NumPy even though the name of the
module was actually Numeric. So, in a sense numarray was a replacement
for (the old) NumPy, and numpy is a replacement for both the old NumPy
and numarray. At least I sure hope so!

-tim