[Numpy-discussion] numpy vs numeric benchmarks

Filip Wasilewski filip at ftv.pl
Fri Jun 2 09:48:23 EDT 2006

Hi,

It seems that in Numeric the matrixmultiply is alias for dot function,
which "uses the BLAS optimized routines where possible", as the help()
says.

In NumPy (0.9.6, not upgraded yet to 0.9.8), the matrixmultiply is a
function of numpy.core.multiarray, while dot refers to
numpy.core._dotblas.

On my system the timings and results with numpy.dot are quite similar
to that with Numeric.matrixmultiply.

So the next question is what's the difference between matrixmultiply and
dot in NumPy?

Filip