[Numpy-discussion] Array Protocol change for Python 2.6

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Fri Jun 9 15:26:33 EDT 2006

On the one hand, I feel we should keep __array_struct__ behaving exactly
as it is now. There's already lots of code that uses it, and it's
tremendously useful despite (because of?) it's simplicity. For these of
use cases, the __array_descr__ information has already proven
unnecessary. I must say that I, and probably others, thought that
__array_struct__ would be future-proof. Although the magnitude of the
proposed change to add this information to the C-struct PyArrayInterface
is minor, it still breaks code in the wild.

On the other hand, I'm only beginning to grasp the power of the
__array_descr__ information. So perhaps bumping the
PyArrayInterface.version to 3 (2 is the current, and as far as I can
tell, original version) and going forward would be justified. Perhaps
there's a way towards backwards-compatibility -- the various array
consumers could presumably support _reading_ both v2 and version 3
nearly forever, but could spit out warnings when reading v2. It seems v3
would be a simple superset of v2, so implementation of this wouldn't be
hard. The challenge will be when a implementor returns a v3
__array_struct__ to something that reads only v2. For this reason, maybe
it's better to break backwards compatibility now before even more code
is written to read v2.

Is it clear what would need to be done to provide a C-struct giving the
_array_descr_ information?

What's the problem with keeping __array_descr__ access available only at
the Python level? Your original email suggested limiting the number of
attributes, which I agree with, but I don't think we need to go to the
logical extreme. Does simply keeping __array_descr__ as part of the
Python array interface avoid these issues? At what cost?

Cheers!
Andrew