[Numpy-discussion] old-Numeric: OverflowError on exp(-760)

Sasha ndarray at mac.com
Mon Jun 12 18:15:15 EDT 2006

I don't know about numarray, but the difference between  Numeric and
python math module stems from the fact that the math module ignores
errno set by C library and only checks for infinity.  Numeric relies
on errno exclusively, numpy ignores errors by default:

>>> import numpy,math,Numeric
>>> numpy.exp(-760)
0.0
>>> math.exp(-760)
0.0
>>> Numeric.exp(-760)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
OverflowError: math range error
>>> numpy.exp(760)
inf
>>> math.exp(760)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
OverflowError: math range error
>>> Numeric.exp(760)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
OverflowError: math range error

I would say it's a bug in Numeric, so you are out of luck.

Unfortunalely, even MA.exp(-760) does not work, but this is easy to fix:

>>> exp = MA.masked_unary_operation(Numeric.exp,0.0,MA.domain_check_interval(-100,100))
>>> exp(-760).filled()
0

You would need to replace -100,100 with the bounds appropriate for your system.