[Numpy-discussion] Distance Matrix speed

Tim Hochberg tim.hochberg at cox.net
Mon Jun 19 17:39:14 EDT 2006

Tim Hochberg wrote:

>Sebastian Beca wrote:
>

>>I just ran Alan's script and I don't get consistent results for 100
>>repetitions. I boosted it to 1000, and ran it several times. The
>>faster one varied alot, but both came into a  ~ +-1.5% difference.
>>
>>When it comes to scaling, for my problem(fuzzy clustering), N is the
>>size of the dataset, which should span from thousands to millions. C
>>is the amount of clusters, usually less than 10, and K the amount of
>>features (the dimension I want to sum over) is also usually less than
>>100. So mainly I'm concerned with scaling across N. I tried C=3, K=4,
>>N=1000, 2500, 5000, 7500, 10000. Also using 1000 runs, the results
>>were:
>>dist_beca: 1.1, 4.5, 16, 28, 37
>>dist_loehner1: 1.7, 6.5, 22, 35, 47
>>
>>I also tried scaling across K, with C=3, N=2500, and K=5-50. I
>>couldn't get any consistent results for small K, but both tend to
>>perform as well (+-2%) for large K (K>15).
>>
>>I'm not sure how these work in the backend so I can't argument as to
>>why one should scale better than the other.
>>

>The reason I suspect that dist_beca should scale better is that
>dist_loehner1 generates an intermediate array of size NxCxK, while
>dist_beca produces intermediate matrices that are only NxK or CxK.  For
>large problems, allocating that extra memory and fetching it into and
>out of the cache can be a bottleneck.
>
>Here's another version that allocates even less in the way of
>temporaries at the expenses of being borderline incomprehensible. It
>still allocates an NxK temporary array, but it allocates it once ahead
>of time and then reuses it for all subsequent calculations. Your welcome
>to use it, but I'm not sure I'd recomend it unless this function is
>really a speed bottleneck as it could end up being hard to read later (I
>left implementing the N<C case as an exercise to the reader....).
>
>I have another idea that might reduce the memory overhead still further,
>if I get a chance I'll try it out and let you know if it results in a
>further speed up.
>
>-tim
>

>    def dist2(A, B):
>        d = zeros([N, C], dtype=float)
>        if N < C:
>            raise NotImplemented
>        else:
>            tmp = empty([N, K], float)
>            tmp0 = tmp[:,0]
>            rangek = range(1,K)
>            for j in range(C):
>                subtract(A, B[j], tmp)
>                tmp *= tmp
>                for k in rangek:
>                    tmp0 += tmp[:,k]
>                sqrt(tmp0, d[:,j])
>        return d

Speaking of scaling: I tried this with K=25000 (10 x greater than
Sebastian's original numbers). Much to my suprise it performed somewhat
worse than the Sebastian's dist() with large K. Below is a modified
dist2 that performs about the same (marginally better here) for large K
as well as a dist3 that performs about 50% better at both K=2500 and
K=25000.

-tim

    def dist2(A, B):
        d = empty([N, C], dtype=float)