[Numpy-discussion] logical_and operator, &&, is missing?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 16:43:58 EDT 2006

Eric Firing wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:
>> Eric Firing wrote:
>>
>>> It seems that the logical operators || and &&, corresponding to
>>> logical_or and logical_and are missing; one can do
>>>
>>> z = logical_and(x,y)
>>>
>>> but not
>>>
>>> z = x && y
>>>
>>> Is there an inherent reason, or is this a bug?
>>
>> Python does not have a && operator. It has an "and" keyword, but that cannot be
>> overridden. If you know x and y to be boolean arrays, & and | work fine.
>
> Out of curiosity, is there a simple explanation as to why "and" cannot
> be overridden but operators like "&" can?  Is it a fundamental
> distinction between operators and keywords?

Sort of. "and" and "or" short-circuit, that is they stop evaluating as soon as
the right value to return is unambiguous.

In [1]: def f():
    ...:     print "Shouldn't be here."
    ...:
    ...:

In [2]: False and f()
Out[2]: False

In [3]: True or f()
Out[3]: True

Consequently, they must yield True and False only.

> In any case, it sounds like we are indeed stuck with an unfortunate wart
> on numpy, unless some changes in Python can be made.  Maybe for
> Python3000...
>
> The NumPy for Matlab users wiki is misleading in this area; I will try
> to fix it.

Thank you.

--
Robert Kern