[Numpy-discussion] incorporating C/C++ code

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Thu Jun 29 13:48:21 EDT 2006

Joris De Ridder wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For heavy number crunching I would like to include C and/or C++ functions
> in my NumPy programs. They should have/give NumPy arrays as input/output.
> On http://www.scipy.org/Topical_Software I find several suggestions to wrap
> C/C++ code: SWIG, weave, Pyrex, Instant, ... but it's quite difficult for me
> to have an idea which one I can/should use.

This is my personal preference order:

1) If you can write Fortran code --- do it and use f2py

2) If you have well-encapsulated functions to call then use
    either weave or ctypes (both are very nice).

3) PyRex is a great option for writing a custom extension module
    that needs a lot of capability built in.

At this point I would not use SWIG or Instant.

So, if Fortran is out for you, then install scipy (or install weave
separately) and start with weave  http://www.scipy.org/Weave

If you can compile your C/C++ functions as a shared-library, then
check-out ctypes as well.

-Travis