[Numpy-discussion] Time for beta1 of NumPy 1.0

Simon Burton simon at arrowtheory.com
Fri Jun 30 09:47:38 EDT 2006

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 03:33:56 -0600
Travis Oliphant <oliphant.travis at ieee.org> wrote:

> One thing I've learned about Open Source development is that it can be
> hard to figure out exactly what is bothering people and get good
> critical feedback:  people are more likely to just walk away with their
> complaints than to try and verbalize and/or post them.    So, looking at
> adoption patterns can be a reasonable way to pick up on attitudes.

General confusion in the community. The whole numeric->numarray->numpy story
is a little strange for people to believe. Or at least the source for
many jokes.
Also, there is no mention of numpy on the numarray page. The whole
thing smells a little fishy :)

Mose of the (more casual) users of python for science that i talk to are quite confused about
what is going on. It also "looks" like numpy is only a few months old.

Personally, I am ready to evangelise numpy wherever i can. (eg. Europython in 4 days time:) )

Simon.