[Numpy-discussion] Getting rid of annoying weave nag

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 18:21:00 EDT 2006

On 6/9/06, David M. Cooke <cookedm at physics.mcmaster.ca> wrote:

> > This difference is so dramatic that I think a message is justified
> > (absent a proper logging framework).  It's helpful to know that the
> > time is going into c++ compilation, and not your code hanging for 30
> > seconds.
>
> Ok, I'll give you that one :-) It's the other 1000 uses of print that I'm
> concerned about.
>
> inline_tools.compile_function takes a verbose flag, though, which eventually
> gets passed to build_tools.build_extension (which I believe does all the
> compiling for weave). It's probably more reasonable to have
> inline_tools.compile_function default to verbose=1 instead of 0, then
> build_extension will print 'Compiling code...' (that should be changed to
> mention weave).

I failed to mention that I agree with you: the proper solution is to
use logging for this.  For now I'll commit the strict-prototypes fix,
and if I find myself with a lot of spare time, I'll try to clean
things up a little bit to use logging (there's already a logger
instance running in there).

Cheers,