[Numpy-discussion] Any Numeric or numarray users on this list?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 12:48:24 EDT 2006

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net wrote:
> On 10.06.2006, at 01:57, Travis Oliphant wrote:
>
>>You may be interested to note that I just added the RNG interface
>>to numpy for back-wards compatibility.  It can be accessed and used
>>by re-placing
>>
>>import RNG
>>
>>with
>>
>>import numpy.random.oldrng as RNG
>
> Thanks, that will facilitate the transition. Is this just a
> compatible interface, or actually the same algorithm as in the
> original RNG module?

Just the interface. Do you actually want to use the old algorithm, or are you
primarily concerned about matching old test results? The old algorithms are not
very good, so I really don't want to put them back into numpy. It should be easy
to roll out a separate RNG module that simply uses numpy instead of Numeric, though.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco