[Numpy-discussion] min/max not exported in "from numpy import *"

Jeff Whitaker jswhit at fastmail.fm
Thu Jun 29 11:36:09 EDT 2006

Zhang Le wrote:
>> I'm going to take a wild-ass guess and suggest that was a concious decision
>> by the authors.  Shadowing builtins is generally a no-no.  You just need to
>> be explicit instead of implicit:
>>
>>     from numpy import min, max
>>
> I see. But why by default sum is exported? Is that a wise decision?
>
> In [1]: from numpy import *
>
> In [2]: help sum
> ------> help(sum)
> Help on function sum in module numpy.core.oldnumeric:
>
> sum(x, axis=0, dtype=None)
>
> Zhang Le

Zhang:  The reason max and min are not imported by 'from numpy import *'
is because there are no such functions in numpy.  They are ndarray
methods now (a.max(), a.min()), there is also a maximum and minium
function which behaves somewhat differently.  There is still a sum
function as you have discovered, and it will clobber the builtin.
Another good reason not to use 'from numpy import *'

-Jeff

--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker         Phone  : (303)497-6313
Meteorologist               FAX    : (303)497-6449
NOAA/OAR/PSD  R/PSD1        Email  : Jeffrey.S.Whitaker at noaa.gov
325 Broadway                Office : Skaggs Research Cntr 1D-124
Boulder, CO, USA 80303-3328 Web    : http://tinyurl.com/5telg