[Numpy-discussion] Time for beta1 of NumPy 1.0

James Graham jg307 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Jun 30 06:58:41 EDT 2006

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> Nonetheless, I would support the creation of a module called something
> like defaultfloat or some-other equally impressive name ;-) which
> contained floating-point defaults of these functions (with the same
> names).

I'd also like to see a way to make the constructors create floating-point arrays
by default.

> Numeric-24.2 (released Nov. 11, 2005)
>
> 14275   py24.exe
>  2905    py23.exe
>  9144    tar.gz
>
> Numarray 1.5.1 (released Feb, 7, 2006)
>
> 10272   py24.exe
> 11883   py23.exe
> 12779   tar.gz
>
> NumPy 0.9.8   (May 17, 2006)
>
>  3713    py24.exe
>    558    py23.exe
>  4111    tar.gz
>

> While it is hard to read too much into numbers, this tells me that there
> are about 10,000 current users of Numeric/Numarray who have not even
> *tried* NumPy.  In fact, Numarray downloads of 1.5.1 went up
> significantly from its earlier  releases. Why is that?   It could be
> that many of the downloads are "casual" users who need it for some other
> application (in which case they wouldn't feel inclined to try NumPy).
>
> On the other hand, it is also possible that many are still scared away
> by the pre-1.0 development-cycle --- it has been a bit bumpy for the
> stalwarts who've braved the rapids as NumPy has matured.  Changes like
> the proposal to move common functions from default integer to default
> float are exactly the kind of thing that leads people to wait on getting
> NumPy.

(just as an aside, a further possibility is the relative availability of
documentation for numpy and the other array packages. I entirely understand the
reasoning behind the Guide to NumPy being a for-money offering but it does
present a significant barrier to adoption, particularly in an environment where
the alternatives all offer for-free documentation above and beyond what is
available in the docstrings).

--
"You see stars that clear have been dead for years
But the idea just lives on..." -- Bright Eyes