[Numpy-discussion] Opinions on the book H.P. Langtangen: Python Scripting for Computational Science, 2nd ed.

Zdeněk Hurák hurak at control.felk.cvut.cz
Thu Mar 2 03:23:03 EST 2006

Hello,

Can anybody recommend the book:

Python Scripting for Computational Science
Series: Texts in Computational Science and Engineering, Vol. 3
Langtangen, Hans Petter
2nd ed., 2006, XXIV, 736 p. 33 illus., Hardcover
ISBN: 3-540-29415-5

I am just a beginner in Python programming (but I master C, Matlab). I do
research in applied numerical computing (oriented at control design). Is
this a book for me? It is hard to guess just from the table contents. I
especially doubt if the information on Numpy package is relevant at all
with the wild development witnessed in the past recent months. However,
peeling off these "numerical" parts, isn't buying some comprehensive Python
book a better buy?

Thanks for your tips,
Zdenek Hurak