[Numpy-discussion] Trouble building NumPy on 64bit Ubuntu Linux

Rudolph van der Merwe rudolphv at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 05:02:11 EST 2006

I followed the instructions given on
http://pong.tamu.edu/tiki/tiki-view_blog_post.php?blogId=6&postId=97
(linked to from main Numpy / SciPy wiki) to try and install Numpy +
Scipy on a 64bit Ubuntu Linux system, but something is not working.

I get the following error message during the 'build phase of Numpy (0.9.6):

/usr/bin/g77 -shared
build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.4/numpy/linalg/lapack_litemodule.o
-L/usr/local/lib/atlas -llapack -lptf77blas -lptcblas -latlas
-lg2c-pic -o build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.4/numpy/linalg/lapack_lite.so
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/atlas/liblapack.a(dlamch.o): relocation
R_X86_64_32S can not be used when making a shared object; recompile
with -fPIC
/usr/local/lib/atlas/liblapack.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

The main problem seems to be this part... "relocation R_X86_64_32S can
not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC". This
seems to be related to the ATLAS optimized LAPACK library which I
built using the standard method as laid out in the ATLAS errata. The
weird thing is that I did in fact specify the -fPIC compiler flag, so
I'm not sure how to proceed from here.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
R.