[Numpy-discussion] Trouble building NumPy on 64bit Ubuntu Linux

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 06:22:07 EST 2006

Hi,

> /usr/bin/g77 -shared
> build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.4/numpy/linalg/lapack_litemodule.o
> -L/usr/local/lib/atlas -llapack -lptf77blas -lptcblas -latlas
> -lg2c-pic -o build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.4/numpy/linalg/lapack_lite.so
> /usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/atlas/liblapack.a(dlamch.o): relocation
> R_X86_64_32S can not be used when making a shared object; recompile
> with -fPIC

I wonder if you built the lapack libraries with the -fPIC flag though?
 I've attached my build scripts for atlas, the include make file for
the lapack libraries, and a python script to combine them - I am
wondering if you need the modified include make file, which should
somehow end up in your LAPACK directory as make.inc (see the
build_full.py script).

Best,

Matthew