[Numpy-discussion] Masked array - follow up

Sasha ndarray at mac.com
Wed Mar 22 12:27:00 EST 2006

Pierre,

Your patch proposes to add an optional argument "flag_missing=False"
to the trace method.  As you explain, "`flag_missing` is True and some
diagonal values are masked, returns  `masked`."  This feature deserves
some careful discussion before it is accepted. I would think this
feature is unnecessary because a.fill(0).trace() is a better way to
express the desired result than a.trace(flag_missing=False). (Your
implementation is equivalent to a.data.trace(), which is clearly wrong
because masked elements are likely to contain garbage.)

-- sasha

PS: BTW, your implementation is incorrect.  Currently ma assumes that
"masked" is a singleton, so return MaskedArray(0, int, mask=1) is not
the same as return masked.  Also m = getmask(a) should probably be m =
getmask(d).