[Numpy-discussion] scipybooksample | dtype

Jelle Feringa / EZCT Architecture & Design Research jelleferinga at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 13:21:05 EST 2006

Hi all,

I'm familiarizing myself with scipy, and working my way through the
http://numeric.scipy.org/scipybooksample.pdf tutorial.

the tutorial states:
-------------------------------------
>>> a = array([[1,2,3],[4,5,6]])
>>> a.shape
(2, 3)
>>> a.dtype
<type 'int32 arrtype'>
-------------------------------------

when i run this code on my machine, having numpy 0.9.6 installed, i get the
following:

>>> a = numpy.array([[1,2,3],[4,5,6]])
>>> a.dtype
dtype('<i4')
>>> numpy.version.version
'0.9.6'

seems that the way dtypes are being printed changed since the
scipybooksample.pdf was released, would anyone of you be able to point me
out where I can read up to what the updated dtypes signify? it's a bit
cryptic to the uninitiated. i do understand that at the rate scipy/numpy is
progressing that it can be hard to get the documentation consist with the
current version.

//btw: the new ndimage module is a great piece of work, thanks so much for
all your efforts!

-jelle