[Numpy-discussion] Histograms via indirect index arrays

Norbert Nemec Norbert.Nemec.list at gmx.de
Thu Mar 30 06:14:17 EST 2006

Sorry, Travis, I missed your answer for a week...

I confess, my efficiency concerns about the histogram routine are to
some extent, of theoretical nature. However, given the widespread use of
the function and considering the simplicity of the solution, I think it
is still worth thinking about it:

The current histogram routine is based on a "sort" of the incoming data.
Quicksort is usually O(N log N), worst case O(N**2). Doing the histogram
by simply counting is a simple O(N) procedure. The absolute cost of the
quicksort algorithm is low, but the simple counting should be even
lower, if done efficiently in C.

What probably weighs heavier though, is the memory usage: sorting can
either be done in place, destroying the original data, or requires a
copy. Counting could be done even on an iterator without storing all the
data.

Lacking a comparable implementation of the counting algorithm, I have
not done any actual speed comparisons. Why nobody ever found this
inefficiency, I cannot say. Probably nobody ever had a real comparison
how fast the histogram could be. Unless you are dealing with really huge
data, the difference will not show up.

Anyway, as I said, a solution should be simple to code once it is
decided how to do it. Simply recoding the histogram routine itself in C
would be the minimal solution. Implementing a more flexible counting
routine that can be used in other contexts as well would certainly be
more desirable, but I have no clear vision what that should look like.

Greetings,
Norbert