[Numpy-discussion] Re: [SciPy-user] Table like array

Bruce Southey bsouthey at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 10:12:06 EST 2006

Hi,
Thanks for your link, Niklas, as it looks interesting.

The ability to create some sort of data array object would be very
useful for me. The record array was not sufficiently flexible when I
looked especially for missing values. The approach that I used was a
class that defined, amongst other things,  a masked array to be able
to handle missing values and a dictionary to recode alphanumeric
values into numeric values. The downside is that there is overhead in
converting this to use in other functions and in some cases writing
new functions.

Bruce