[Numpy-discussion] Re: Numpy licenses

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 09:26:10 EST 2006

Jeffery D. Collins wrote:
> The SF site claims the following for Numeric/Numpy:
>
> License : OSI-Approved Open Source
> <http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=14>, GNU
> General Public License (GPL)
> <http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=15>
>

> Can this be changed to reflect LICENSE.TXT?  Numpy (and the older
> Numeric-*) has never been GPL'd, correct?

It's possible that there used to be some code checked into the repository that
was GPLed. It was certainly never a part of Numeric, though. What worries me
more is that someone thought Numeric et al. belong to the Multi-User Dungeons topic.

I would like to stress, though, that Sourceforge is *not* the place for
information on the new NumPy. The only remaining use for it is the mailing list
and downloads, and I hope that we can start using PyPI instead for placing our
distributions.

> Also, a previous thread mentioned that the licensing terms for f2py will
> be changed from LGPL.  In the svn trunk, some of its documentation still
> refers to LGPL, particularly f2py2e.py.   Will this be changed before
> the next release?

Done.

--
Robert Kern