[Numpy-discussion] Numpy and PEP 343

Tim Hochberg tim.hochberg at cox.net
Thu Mar 2 15:21:04 EST 2006

Christopher Barker wrote:

> eric jones wrote:
>
>> All this to say, I think weave basically accomplishes what Tim wants
>> with a different mechanism (letting C++ compilers do the optimization
>> instead of writing this optimization at the python level).  It does
>> require a compiler on client machines in its current form (even that
>> can be fixed...)
>

> Perhaps by teaching Psyco about nd-arrays?

Psyco is unlikely to ever be much good for floating point stuff.  This
is because it only knows about longs/pointers and arrays of
longs/pointers. The floating point support it has at present involves
breaking a double into two long sized chunks. Then whenever you need to
manipulate the float you have to find the pieces and put them back
together[1]. All of this means that float support is much poorer then
integer support in Psyco. In theory this could be fixed, but since
Armin's no longer actively working on Psyco, just maintaining it, I
don't see this changing. Perhaps when Psyco like technology gets
incorporated in PyPy it will include better support for floating point.

Regards,

-tim

[1] This has all gotten rather fuzzy too me now, it's been a while since
I looked at it and my understanding was at best fragile anyway.