[Numpy-discussion] [Fwd: Re: [SAGEdev] faster random number generation]

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Mon Mar 13 13:33:03 EST 2006

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> Fernando Perez wrote:

>>After my comment below on numpy NOT needing a fortran compiler,
>>William came back with that g77 error message.  Now I'm a little
>>confused, and before I confuse him even more, I'd prefere to clarify
>>things with those who actually konw what's going on.
>>
>>Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>

> Pearu is the expert on this.    The _dotblas.c function is optimized dot
> using ATLAS and/or BLAS for the system.  I'm not sure why g77 is being
> used as the linker unless it is in their configuration somehow.
>
> For example, on my system, this is the command that links _dotblas.so
>
> cc -pthread -shared
> build/temp.linux-i686-2.4/numpy/core/blasdot/_dotblas.o -L/usr/lib/atlas
> -lptf77blas -lptcblas -latlas -o
> build/lib.linux-i686-2.4/numpy/core/_dotblas.so
>
> Please have them post to the list to figure out their issues.  I want to
> squash any idea that numpy *requires* a  Fortran compiler as this was a
> major design decision not to.   It's always possible that configuration
> issues need to be improved for certain platforms.

Thanks, Travis.

William, care to join in the numpy list with more details?  As you see, it is
true that numpy is NOT supposed to require a fortran compiler, this is
something that was very specifically discussed and agreed upon.  But we may
need you to join in to get more information about how you are doing things,
before more help can be provided.

Here's the list link for you to join in: