[SciPy-user] [Numpy-discussion] [ANN] NumPy 0.9.6 released

Paul Ray Paul.Ray at nrl.navy.mil
Tue Mar 14 12:39:02 EST 2006

On Mar 14, 2006, at 3:25 PM, Travis Oliphant wrote:

>> I think that many people with codes that use Numeric or numarray are
>> awaiting the numpy 1.0 release as a sign that it is stable and ready
>> for prime time, before converting their codes.
>>
> We need some of these people to convert earlier than that, though,
> so we
> can make sure that 1.0 really is ready for prime time.  I think it's
> very close already or the version number wouldn't be so high.  We are
> just waiting for more people to start using it and report any issues
> that they have before going to 1.0 (I'd also like scalar math to be
> implemented pre 1.0 as well in case that requires any C-API
> additions).

I agree.  Lots of people do seem to be trying out numpy.  I use it
for all new code I develop, and I have converted over a bunch of
older SciPy stuff that uses both the python and C APIs, including
ppgplot for plotting.  I also heard from the PyFITS developers that
an alpha release based on numpy is coming very soon.

Cheers,

-- Paul