[Numpy-discussion] Re: Newbie: Matrix form of segment-sphere intersection?

Ryan Krauss ryanlists at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 12:54:01 EST 2006

I would first do this in python without ufuncs and see if it is slow
before going through the extra effort to put it in a ufunc.

I think if you play with array broadcasting, you will be quite happy
with the results for doing calculations on lots of points.  Numpy
operates on an element-by-element basis by default.  So, for example

x=arange(0,10,0.1)
y=x**2

will create a vector x and then a vector of y with the elements of x
squared.  This sort of math on arrays I think does what you want
unless there is some math function in your algorithm that doesn't take
vector inputs.  In that case you might need to write your own function
for that.

Does this help or am I missing something important?

Ryan