[Numpy-discussion] numpy putmask() method and a scalar.

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Mon May 1 20:43:04 EDT 2006

    Sasha> Do we really need the putmask method?  With fancy indexing
    Sasha> the obvious way to do it is

    Sasha> and it works fine.  Maybe we can drop putmask method before
    Sasha> 1.0 instead of fixing the bug.

I'm +1 for backwards compatibility with the Numeric API where the cost
of a fix isn't too painful.  The way to speed numpy adoption is to
make old Numeric code "just work" where possible with the new API.

Bear in mind that many people may not even begin the port attempt
until well after numpy 1.0.

JDH