[Numpy-discussion] Building on Windows

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Wed May 10 14:42:01 EDT 2006

Stephan Tolksdorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there are still some (mostly minor) problems with the Windows build of
> Numpy (MinGW/Cygwin/MSVC). I'd be happy to produce patches and
> documentation enhancements, but before doing so I'd like to know if
> there's interest from one of the core developers to review/commit
> these patches afterwards. I'm asking because in the past questions and
> suggestions regarding the building process of Numpy (especially on
> Windows) often remained unanswered on this list. I realise that many
> developers don't use Windows and that the distutils build is a complex
> beast, but the current situation seems a bit unsatisfactory  - and I
> would like to help.

I think your assessment is a bit harsh.   I regularly build on MinGW so
I know it works there (at least at release time).   I also have applied
several patches with the express purpose of getting the build working on
MSVC and Cygwin.

So, go ahead and let us know what problems you are having.   You are
correct that my main build platform is not Windows, but I think several
other people do use Windows regularly and we definitely want to support it.

-Travis