[Numpy-discussion] basearray / arraykit

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Wed May 10 15:38:01 EDT 2006

Tim Hochberg wrote:
>> Is adding basic Numeric-like indexing something you see as useful to
>> basearray?
>
> Yes! No! Maybe ;-)

Got ya, loud and clear :-)

I understand the confusion.

I think we should do the following (for release 1.0)

1) Implement a base-array with no getitem method nor setitem method at all

2) Implement a sub-class that supports only creation of data-types
corresponding to existing Python scalars (Boolean, Long-based integers,
Double-based floats, complex and object types).  Then, all array
accesses should return the underlying Python objects.

This sub-class should also only do view-based indexing (basically it's
old Numeric behavior inside of NumPy).

3) Implement the ndarray as a sub-class of #2 that does fancy indexing
and returns array-scalars

Item 1) should be pushed for inclusion in 2.6  and possibly even
something like 2)

-Travis