[Numpy-discussion] Re: Any Numeric or numarray users on this list?

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Wed May 31 14:49:01 EDT 2006

In article <447D051E.9000709 at ieee.org>,
 Travis Oliphant <oliphant.travis at ieee.org> wrote:

> Please help the developers by responding to a few questions.
>
> 1) Have you transitioned or started to transition to NumPy (i.e. import
> numpy)?

No, not beyond installing it to see if it works.

> 2) Will you transition within the next 6 months? (if you answered No to #1)

I expect to start to transition within a few months of both numpy and
pyfits-with-numpy being released and being reported as stable and fast.

> 4) Please provide any suggestions for improving NumPy.

Please improve notification of documentation updates. I keep seeing
complaints from folks who've bought the numpy documentation that they
get no notification of updates. That makes me very reluctant to buy the
documentation myself.

I wish that full support for masked arrays had made it in (i.e. masked
arrays are first class citizens that are accepted by all functions). The
inability in numeric to apply 2d filters on masked image arrays is the
main thing missing for me in numarray.

-- Russell