[Numpy-discussion] Who uses matrix?

Sven Schreiber svetosch at gmx.net
Fri May 12 01:34:11 EDT 2006

Bill Baxter schrieb:

> So looks like I'm joining the camp of "matrix -- not worth the bother"
> folks.  The .T shortcut for arrays would still be nice though.

Bill, I think I see what you mean. Nevertheless, I prefer my vectors to
have a row-or-column orientation, for example because the requirement of
conforming shapes for multiplication reveals (some of) my bugs when I
slice a vector out of a matrix but along the wrong axis. It seems that
otherwise I would get a bogus result without necessarily realizing it.

I guess that also tells something about my inefficient matrix coding
style in general, but still... For rapidly implementing some published
formulae I prefer to map them to (numpy) code as directly and
proof-readably as possible, at least initially. And that means with
matrices.

cheers,
sven