[Numpy-discussion] downsample vector with averaging

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Sun May 14 18:20:47 EDT 2006

John Hunter wrote:

>An open source version (GPL) for octave by Paul Kienzle, who is one of
>the authors of the matplotlib quadmesh functionality and apparently a
>python convertee, is here
>
>   http://users.powernet.co.uk/kienzle/octave/matcompat/scripts/signal/decimate.m
>
>and it looks like someone has already translated this to python using
>scipy.signal
>
>  http://www.bigbold.com/snippets/posts/show/1209
>
>Some variant of this would be a nice addition to scipy.

I agree, and I just found by experiment, putting the code from the
second link into scipy was pretty easy (I put it into signaltools.py).
But the Octave code is GPL and the Python translation is pretty much a
straight copy of it.  Plus I don't know how to get hold of the Python
translator.  So, how to proceed from here?