[Numpy-discussion] Any Numeric or numarray users on this list?

Andrew McNamara andrewm at object-craft.com.au
Tue May 30 21:32:01 EDT 2006

We use Numeric in NetEpi Analysis (www.netepi.org).

>Please help the developers by responding to a few questions.
>
>1) Have you transitioned or started to transition to NumPy (i.e. import
>numpy)?

No.

>2) Will you transition within the next 6 months? (if you answered No to #1)

Unknown - someone will have to fund the work.

>3) Please, explain your reason(s) for not making the switch. (if you
>answered No to #2)

NetEpi Analysis implements C extensions to do fast set options on integer
Numeric arrays, as well as to support mmap'ed Numeric arrays. I haven't
looked at what is required to port these to Numpy (or replace with native
Numpy features).

NetEpi Analysis also uses rpy, which will potentially need to be updated
to support Numpy.

We're also concerned about speed - but I haven't done any testing
against the latest Numpy.

http://www.object-craft.com.au/