[Numpy-discussion] Any Numeric or numarray users on this list?

eric eric at enthought.com
Wed May 31 09:58:08 EDT 2006

> Please help the developers by responding to a few questions.
>

> 1) Have you transitioned or started to transition to NumPy (i.e.
> import numpy)?
We (Enthought) have started.

> 2) Will you transition within the next 6 months? (if you answered No
> to #1)
We have a number of deployed applications that use Numeric heavily.
Much of our code is now NumPy/Numeric compatible, but it is not well
tested on NumPy.  That said, a recent large project will be delivered on
NumPy this summer, and we are releasing an update to a legacy app using
NumPy in the next month or so.  Pearu, Travis, and the Numeric->NumPy
conversion scripts have been very helpful in this respect.

It has been (and remains) a big effort to get the ship turned in the
direction of NumPy, but we're committed to it.  We are very much looking
forward to using its new features.

> 3) Please, explain your reason(s) for not making the switch. (if you
> answered No to #2)
Just time right now.  We have noticed one major slow down in code, but
it is a known issue (scalar math).  This was easily fixed with a little
weave code in the time being (so now we're actually 2-3 times faster
than the old Numeric code. :-)

> 4) Please provide any suggestions for improving NumPy.
No strong opinions here yet as I (sadly) haven't gotten to use it much
yet.   The scalar math speed hit us once, so others will probably hit it
as well.

Thanks again for all the amazing work on this stuff.  It has already had
an amazing impact on the community involvement and growth.  From my own
experience, I understand why others are slow to convert.  Enthought has
wanted to be an early adopter from the beginning, and we are still not
there because of the effort involved in conversion and testing along
with time pressures from other projects.  Still, there is a nice feed
back loop that happens here.  As scipy/numpy continue to improve (more
functionality, 64-bit stability, etc.) and more projects convert over,
there are more reasons for people to update their code to the latest and
greatest.  My bet is it'll take 2-3 more years for the transition to run
its course.

see ya,
eric