Need more comments from scientific community on python-dev

A. M. Archibald peridot.faceted at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 13:13:05 EST 2006

On 01/11/06, Travis Oliphant <oliphant.travis at ieee.org> wrote:

> And it may be a good idea to also have a get_ctype method or some-such
> on the ctypes attribute so that  one could get a "ctypes description"
> from the NumPy data-type.

It seems to me that at the python level, there's not much reason to
choose the dtypes proposal over ctypes. There is one at the C level,
it seems (though I, like perhaps most of the people on python-dev,
have never actually tried using either). So perhaps, to persuade the
python-dev folks, what is needed is a comparison of what has to be
done at the C level. What would it take to rewrite numpy to use
ctypes? There seems to be some problem with extending the type objects
used by ctypes, but it's not very clear to me what that problem is
(what the extensions are supposed to do).

The argument that *some* datatypes format should become standard is much easier.

A. M. Archibald