Converting bool to float

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Thu Nov 2 10:48:47 EST 2006

Robert Kern wrote:

>Tim Hochberg wrote:
>

>>Travis Oliphant wrote:

>>>Yeah, why indeed.  Must be something with the scalar coercion code...
>>>

>>This is one of those things that pops up every few years. I suspect that
>>the best thing to do here is to treat 1.0, and all Python floats as
>>having a kind (float), but no precision. Or, equivalently treat them as
>>the smallest precision floating point value. The rationale behind this
>>is that otherwise float32 array will be promoted whenever they are
>>multiplied by Python floating point scalars. If Python floats are
>>treated as Float64 for purposes of determining output precision then
>>anyone using float32 arrays is going to have to wrap all of their
>>literals in float32 to prevent inadvertent upcasting to float64. This
>>was the origin of the (rather clunky) numarray spacesaver flag.
>>
>>It's no skin off my nose either way, since I pretty much never use
>>float32, but I suspect that treating python floats equivalently to
>>float64 scalars would be a mistake. At the very least it deserves a bit
>>of discussion.
>>

>Well, they *are* 64-bit floating point numbers. You simply can't get around
>that. That's why we now have all of the scalar types: you can get any precision
>scalars that you want as long as you are explicit about it (and explicit is
>better than implicit). The spacesaver flag was the only solution before the
>various scalar types existed. I'd like to suggest that the discussion already
>occurred some time ago and has concluded in favor of the scalar types.
>Downcasting should be explicit.
>
>However, whether or not float32 arrays operated with Python float scalars give
>float32 or float64 arrays is tangential to my question. Does anyone actually
>think that a Python float operated with a boolean array should give a float32
>result? Must we *up*cast a boolean array to float64 to preserve the precision of
>the scalar?

The first basic rule is that scalars don't control the precision of the
output when doing mixed-type calculations *except* when they are of a
fundamentally different kind.

Then (if a different kind of scalar is used), the rule is that the
arrays will be upcast to the "lowest" precision in the group to preserve
overall precision.   So, when a bool is combined with a "float" kind of
scalar, the result is float32 because that preserves precision of the
bool.  Remember it is array precision that takes precedence over scalars
in mixed type array-scalar operations.

This is the rule.  I agree that this rule is probably flawed in certain
circumstances.

So, what should be done about it at this point?  Do you think a change
is acceptable for 1.0.1 or does it need to wait a year until 1.1?

-Travis